What is IIoT? Here are the basics about the Industrial Internet of Things.
IIoT and Industry 4.0 are very similar topics. Both topics, however, are widely accepted as a key part of the future of manufacturing.
Alan Rooks of the Advanced Manufacturing Podcast recently interviewed SFA. The interview touched on what exactly Industry 4.0 is.
First, manufacturing was purely done via mechanical systems. We moved forward with mass production (assembly lines). Then we reached computers and automation. Now, we arrive at Industry 4, which is the Cloud.
Here are some IIoT resources used to improve manufacturing productivity:
- Devices/sensors on shop floor equipment communicate via the Internet
- Data from devices/sensors on machines is stored in the Cloud, so there is no need to house data servers on site
- Real-time historical analytics are fed into charts and reports for machine monitoring systems, ERP software, and much more
- MTConnect and similar protocols allow for data to be collected in a non-proprietary manner – more cost-effective overall
- Hardware such as modified PLCs can help to make legacy machines IIoT-ready
Want more info on IIoT and Industry 4.0 solutions? Call (877) 611-5825 or fill out a contact form!